Friday, January 11, 2008

Blogging 101 - In-Service 1/10/08 & How to Embed a PowerPoint Presentation

You learn something new every day...

I was surprised that you can quickly load photos & video onto a blog, but Powerpoint presentations aren't as simple, it seems. As Adam would say, "PowerPoints are such a Web 1.0 thing. Blogs are 2.0." I ask, "What about the teacher who uses PowerPoint and wants to share it with his/her students via a blog?" He merely repeats, "Web 1.0 in Web 2.0" I sigh, and we both laugh.

It took me a while to search how to do this, but after a few search options, I finally got the information I needed. As I tell my Research & Presentation students, if you can't find what you need through one search, try re-wording. I obtained my information by searching "embed powerpoint in a blog," only after I had searched 3 other ideas for 45 minutes. Don't know why I didn't start there in the first place; at least you can't say I'm not persistent. I offer this information to you because if you start a class blog, you may want to include some of your PowerPoint presentations, and I can save you the hassle of trying to find the info.

Bob & Ron asked me if I would be willing to share some of the ideas I learned from the conference with the faculty after my technology conference- well of course! After one of the last faculty meetings where ideas were shared by department, many people noted they were interested in learning more about the concept of blogging. Below is the slide show I gave; each slide should be fairly self explanatory.



This first method was done by loading each slide of the PPT presentation as an image onto Flickr. Sounds tedious, but it was actually easy. There is a tricky step when it comes to finding & embedding the code in the blog because HTML code is so blessed sensitive, but once you find what you're looking for, it goes quickly. However, it's an easy enough process if you follow the steps listed in the beginning of this article on how to embed a PowerPoint presentation in your blog. You have to understand some basic computer ideas, so if you genuinely feel nervous about technology, go to the process below. It's definitely easier. The above process moves the slides quickly, and it loaded the presentation backwards. Go figure.

Another Way to Embed a PPT:

Click on Blogging Slideshow and it will take you to the same presentation, which was loaded onto Slideshare. All I had to do was click upload, browse for the file on my desktop, and Slideshow uploaded the presentation and gave me a URL address which I linked on the blog. It loaded the correct way, and the user gets to control each slide. Seems much easier. Both work well enough.

I offer all this to you to help you learn new ways to keep your blog going and exciting! If you need help loading a PowerPoint slide show onto your blog - JUST ASK! The first time is admittedly a bit confusing, but it will go quickly once you see how it's done. Promise!

No comments: